Friday 12 May 2017

My Music Video Evaluation - Rejjie Snow - Purple Tuesday

I decided to shoot my video in a wooded area near Binley in Coventry. I made sure I planned it for a sunny day so I could get bright, clear footage. Downsides to choosing this location was that it was quite out of the way and my GoPro battery life would have to be used sparingly as there were no other sunny days to shoot. Limiting myself to one day to shoot all the main footage resulted in the outcome to be a little bit messy. I chose to film my video hand held as I hoped for it to turn out to be more personal to the audience and to be more upbeat and "playful". I tried to capture the essence of adventure by running with the camera and trying to shoot everything I love about the outdoors. This included various shots and pans, closeups of flowers and wind blowing through leaves. I hoped to lift the spirit of the audience and encapsulate them in the footage giving them the allusion of being there, running round with us like kids in the forest.
An issue I had with the GoPro, was that I was not able to zoom and it auto-focuses. I had to connect it to my phone to view what I was capturing (while I was capturing it ) and overall it just turned out to be a bit of a nuisance. Positives of the GoPro is thaat I had created a mount that wrapped nicely around my hand making it easy to run around and climb trees with.

A problem I encountered was that I did not have a tripod. I tackled this issue by resting the camera on trees or on the floor. This ended up working in my favour in the cartwheel shot as the grass peeks through in the foreground creating a more earthy feel to the video. It conformed to the forest and nature theme.

EDITING 

Overall, I found the editingprocess for this specific piece the most difficult. This is so because I edited last minute and didn't allow myself any time to fix any set backs. One of my set-backs was that my laptop was not good enough to fully support the high quality footage. This resulted in freezing during editing and it tripled my editing time overall. It resulted in me making changes such as cutting, making shots slo-mo etc and not actually being able to watch my changes back. This caused messiness and I felt like I was editing blind and guessing what I was doing to things. Shots becameoff-beat and I just ended up completely disappointed with the outcome of the video.
I now intend to use a different, faster, laptop to brush up and fix the piece, hopefully resulting in a better product. I will discuss changes I can make with my tutor and will post the results on my blog.

An aspect I was happy with was that I decided to use footage to illustrate the lyrics "blowing bubbles". I found some uncopyrighted footage of underwater bubbles and overlapped it over a tree shot. This worked really nicely. Also, using over lapping, I combined two shots, one of a spinning buttercup, and the other of Ray putting a flower in my hair. I did this by adjusting the opacity of the overlapping flower shot, and using a transition effect of a fade in and out.



Overall I feel the music video itself was filmed and edited well, , but I believe that, with more time, it could have been perfected and hopefully will be. For the space of time I created this in, I am impressed with the outcome, and am mostly impressed with the camera and lighting techniques I used; I made sure it was filmed on an extremely sunny day so it would conform to the natural vibe I was going for. I have become more and more competent using the editing software and the filming settings on the camera. This experience has allowed me to make more executive decisions about lighting and camera angles. The hardest part of this unit was editing, as I wanted to experiment with live editing, but as my laptop couldnt handle the quality of the footage, I didn't get round to experimenting with this. Next time, I aim to experiment with and become confident with live editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment